My Christmas socks are finished! This is basically my lone finished object for all of 2017, but it’s safe to say that my knitting drought is over. SUCK IT, 2017.
I decided to make a pair of Christmas socks earlier in December. The yarn I ordered from WEBS is Regia Pairfect Design Line 4-Ply by Arne & Carlos in color 09136 (Garden). I’ve knit with Regia in the past and found it a sturdy, well-wearing sock yarn that holds up well when machine washed.
I like to knit socks toe-up, two at a time on one circular needle using Magic Loop. I used a US 1.5 needle made by Knitter’s Pride–they’re my favorite needles and pretty much the ones I use exclusively. They’re well made and comfortable to use.
I wanted a rounder toe since I have such wide feet, so I cast on 20 stitches and increased until I had 64 stitches for each sock. Since I’m not crazy about doing m1 (make 1) increases, the increase I use is kfb (knit into the front and back)–it’s easy to do and you can barely tell the difference between that and m1l and m1r.
I loved working on these in front of the Christmas tree!
When it was time to do the heels, I wasn’t looking forward to them. I love the way the Fish Lips Kiss Heel looks and fits, but I hate the instructions with the fire of a thousand suns. I printed only the pages I needed instead of the tome that the original instructions are and got through it, but hopefully I’ll get to the point where I’ll memorize how to do this heel without referring to the instructions.
I’ve got to admit, those are some nice-looking heels. Crazy-making instructions notwithstanding.
I knit the legs until they reached the tops of my ankles. I didn’t measure them and wasn’t precise…I just kept trying them on until I got to the point where I wanted to start the ribbing for the cuffs.
I love the clean look of a 1×1 twisted rib. I knit the ribbing for approximately 1.5″ before binding off. I used Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off, which is super helpful for my large calves.
All done! Overall, I’m happy with the way these turned out. While I was knitting, I wasn’t very pleased with the way that the yarn had been dyed. One foot is literally solid green, while the other has some patterning. Back in the day, I would’ve ripped these out and started again, ensuring that they matched better. But these days, I have zero patience for that, so they’re fraternal twins. I’m still not 100% satisfied that the finished patterning doesn’t look like the sample socks on the ball band–my socks have much larger stretches of solid green, versus the sample socks and their uniform patterning–but oh well.
I’m also just happy to be knitting again. As I mentioned in my previous post, it was rough taking a break from knitting for so long, so it feels good to get back in the groove and actually finish something again. 🙂